18 March 2011

Visas and Other Booby Traps

I'm just going to come right out and say that applying for a visa of any type isn't easy. I have applied for one myself and my wife has applied for many more. They are time-consuming and they can be expensive. But, if you know what you're doing, you can save some time and headaches (and maybe your sanity) before going through the process.

First and foremost, make sure you have all your documentation in order. This will save you time and trouble at the consulate and may prevent you wasting a trip. Check the website of the designated consulate where you're applying for your visa and call them if at all possible to confirm the documentation needed to apply for your visa.

Second, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DOCUMENTATION IN ORDER! If you have called the consulate as I told you to in the first paragraph, you will have learned that getting hold of a person at a consulate is not easy. Finding out that you need to supply more documents a week after your appointment might cause you an aneurysm. Trust me, I know whereof I speak.

Third, ask questions while you're at the consulate. That's what the good folks at the consulate are there for. Ask them while you're there if there's anything else you'll need to supply, how long it takes to process the application, etc. This will help lower your blood pressure just a bit. You might even ask the agent accepting your paperwork what he or she thinks of your probability for success. It's purely speculative on their part, but they've taken documents from hundreds of people, so their opinions are hardly uneducated.

Fourth, be a pest. If you do need to supply additional documents after your appointment has concluded, make sure you reach someone at the consulate to confirm receipt of these documents and to determine if there are any others that you need. Call two, three, four times or more per day if needs be. Once the consulate gets the hint that you'll not rest, they'll be more proactive in keeping you informed. I even got the Spanish consulate to call me and tell me that my visa had been approved and was being sent back to me (no mean feat, from what I understand).

Finally, do not let the process intimidate you. Going before a huge, faceless bureaucracy to plead your case is scary to think about if you picture the thing as a monolith standing between you and your destination. The key is to remember that this bureaucracy is made up of a bunch of human beings and that they are not out to get you. Talk to them, relate to them and always remember that ultimately it is people who are pulling the levers of power behind the facade. Then, kick back and try to relax and enjoy wherever it is you are while you're awaiting your approval to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment